Being an exterior cleaning and finishing company we often find ourselves playing the “name game” when consulting with homeowners in regards to our services. Many times, we experience a communication problem in regards to the appropriate name used to refer to the exterior services we offer. Though many are universally known under one title, some are called by different names according to the part of the country you reside. For instance, in some areas deck staining is commonly referred to as “deck painting.”
In an effort to provide the most comprehensive outdoor surface cleaning to each and every one of our clients, we have compiled a list of the services we offer, and the various names our services are sometimes referred to.
- Deck Cleaning: Sometimes referred to as pressure washing, power washing and according to the name used geographically in reference to the structure itself (deck), we have also heard it called sun porch cleaning and backyard deck cleaning.
A deck is a deck. Though some areas of the country may call it by another name, a deck is a horizontal structure capable of supporting weight, similar to a floor, but typically constructed outdoors, often elevated from the ground, and usually connected to a building. Historically, in early deck design softwoods were used for decking and these were logged from old growth forests. These include Atlantic white cedar, redwood and Western red cedar (red cedar). Atlantic City, located in New Jersey, built the first coastal boardwalk (also called a dock or pier) in the United States, originally constructed of Atlantic white cedar. Over the years, decking materials have evolved to include many wood options, including hardwoods, as well as low-maintenance materials such as synthetics.
- Deck Staining: Often referred to as deck painting or deck sealing. Keep in mind, Renew Crew of Charlotte does indeed offer exterior cleaning and painting services. However, we strongly discourage the use of paint on horizontal surfaces. This is because paint doesn’t provide longevity on horizontal surfaces such as decks. Traffic and normal wear and tear can cause paint to peel and crack over time. The problem with painting a deck is that most deck surfaces are horizontal, so the paint just “lies” on the deck. As a result, those areas hold water. Painting, or using a solid-color stain with no sealer, will only help trap that moisture in the wood. So, as your deck boards expand and contract with variations in temperatures and weather conditions, paint begins to chip and you end up with peeling paint, rotting wood and other potential problems. Renew Crew of Charlotte does recommend use of a tinted stain for adding color to your flooring surfaces such as deck, porches, etc. A quality stain and sealer penetrates the wood grain to seal it, while also allowing moisture to escape from the wood. It won’t chip, peel or crack as the deck wood swells and shrinks. The more tinting the stain has, the better protected your deck will be from fading and moisture.
- Patio & Hardscape Cleaning: Patio and hardscape cleaning is sometimes called patio power cleaning, power washing or pressure washing — much the same as we often hear all our cleaning services referred to. Patios are usually built from brick, brick pavers, concrete or either natural stone such as flagstone. Cleaning brick or natural stone is no more difficult than cleaning other hardscape materials but requires expertise in order to make sure the cleaning is conducted properly. If you have a brick or natural stone patio it’s a good idea to have it sealed for protection and to make future cleanings easier. Patios that have not been sealed will require more time and effort to keep them looking clean.
- Patio Sealing: Sealing a patio, whether a tinted or clear sealer is applied, is sometimes referred to patio painting or tinting. With new patios we also hear it referred to as a patio finishing.
- Exterior Home Siding Cleaning: Sometimes referred to as house cleaning, pressure washing or power washing. Renew Crew of Charlotte cleans virtually any type of home siding including vinyl, stucco, Hardie, painted wood and brick. Our method includes application of pre-cleaning foam that clings to your siding, loosening and lifting the dirt. Then we follow up with a non-damaging pressure washing: Siding comes out sparkling clean.
The next step in our siding cleaning process is a special polymer that penetrates and seals the surface of your siding to slow the dirt buildup and the debilitating effects of the elements. Rain, snow, pollution and even UV rays are repelled. The natural luster and texture of your siding are enhanced and, if it’s made of wood, our polymer brings out the grain. Renew Crew of Charlotte can also stain, or paint your homes siding to whatever hue you desire as a finished look.
- Concrete Cleaning & Sealing: Most often referred to as pressure or power washing. Pressure washing concrete is as much sculpting as cleaning, and we pride ourselves on being artists in this area. Don’t trust a yellow-page, weekend pressure washer with your property — come to the masters. Our exclusive, 3-step, modified pressure process does a better job of concrete cleaning and concrete sealing. Thanks to our revolutionary way of renewing your concrete, your driveway or patio can take on new life and stop being the eyesore it once was. Plus, with our experts on hand, renewing your concrete is botch proof! Sit back and let us transform what used to be a hassle into a breeze.
Our goal at Renew Crew of Charlotte is to provide you with a superior clean on all of your outdoor surfaces. We hope the information contained in this post helps you better define the wide range of services we off. Contact us today to learn more about getting your home and outdoor spaces Renew Crew clean!
Give us a call for a free consultation at 704-445-3210.